Man, I’m tired. Yesterday I woke up hungover and limped around and did some work and hung out with my kids until my wife wonderfully and miraculously scooped them up and took them to Chuck E Cheese (my kids both call that shit Chubby Cheese, which is pretty goddamned adorable). At that point I was free to stare, dead eyed into my computer and do a little bit of research for my job. It was a total gas.
Things got really exciting when I went to Target and bought paper towels. Then I tried to get shoes but (get this!) I didn’t like any of the shoes at the shoe store. Man, whooo Nellie. It was quite a day.
OH, I almost forgot…last night I met up with Chris McCaughan and Neil Hennessy and we laid down some shit that will become the blueprint for the sixth full length studio album by us, known collectively and sometimes as the Lawrence Arms. Here’s how it all went down: A couple of months ago, right around Thanksgiving, Chris came to town for our recent metro show and while he was here, we did 5 demos of new songs. The demos themselves were not that good. The songs were good, but we were sloppy and my voice sounded like complete dogshit. However, the demos were incredibly inspiring, in that they were good enough to clearly map out how the Lawrence Arms suddenly were gonna sound on this new record (sloppy and and overlayed with my shitty voice), which was a pretty exciting thing to figure out.
Chris came back to town on Friday, and we got together Friday night and drank ourselves into a stupor the likes of which I still haven’t recovered from. Saturday, we cruised into our practice space and, armed with more songs and a vastly better idea of how everything was gonna go, laid down a bunch of tracks. Some were re-recordings of the original 5 demos and some were new songs. Last night we went in and did a bunch more. Today, around 130, I’ll head back over there and we’ll throw down the last 2. That will be a total of eleven demoed tracks. That’s an album. Shit’s done writ (as they say).
Pretty rad. I gotta say, this record is gonna be cool. It’s gonna be different as shit from our last one. I can’t offer you too much in the way of details, because, well, we have been told by our overlords to tease this information out as slowly as possible in order to maximize everyone’s slavering excitement to illegally download it, listen to it once and then dismiss it as ‘not nearly as good as the old shit’ but here’s what I CAN tell you:
There are eleven songs, but one will most likely be left off and used for other nefarious purposes (like a comp or a split or something). Chris has written 4 songs and the other 7 are mine. There are no shredding guitar solos, nor is there any slap bass. The fastest song on the record (I think) is written by Chris and the longest song on the record is written by me. Some of the working titles of the songs are stupid things like “paradise shitty’ and “Supernatural House Hunters” both of which will probably actually end up being the real titles, because I don’t know when to let a joke go. But the truth is, I’m pretty stoked about these songs. It’s cool just to hear this band again. You guys have all been incredibly patient and cool and I’m pretty excited about the fact that we still have fans (I think even more fans, somehow) than we did when we put out our last album, which was 7 years ago. That’s CRAAAAAAAAZY.
Thanks for your patience. When we get back from Australia, we’re gonna figure out how to get into the studio and hammer these fuckers out proper like ASAP. Then fuck, who knows what the future holds? I’m gonna try to buy a hot tub and fill it completely with strawberry cocaine and bleached assholes. I think that sounds like a good way to celebrate.
Okay, I’ll let you know how it goes. Follow me on twitter (@badsandwich) or instagram (dr_beexo) for updates today. I think it’s gonna be good. Eh…we’re all having a blast, and I think that comes across. Whatever. See ya. Oh, right. I almost forgot: I want to call the album The King of Quiznos, but I’m guessing nobody else on earth thinks that’s a good idea. Everyone lacks vision.
- Idea: a shirt based on the iconic RUN DMC logo, but instead if RUN DMC it says something way less cool. about 4 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone
- RT @TheLawrenceArms: Chris just finished guitars. Beex is up to start singin. #tla6 about 4 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone
- these reversing Angry Birds' toucans are a waste of my fucking time. about 5 hours ago from web
- Overheard on Ashland: "I'm a witch and I'm just wondering if I go to a psychic if they'll pick up on it" -someone who's really into bullshit about 7 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone
- If you're a dude and you have a cupcake tattoo, you'd better be either gay or a baker. about 8 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone
- @tigersgoroooar Whooooooooooa! now. I'm talking about (cups hands, points over shoulder) (whispering) the uggos. Shhhhhh. 04:44:46 AM May 19, 2013 from web in reply to tigersgoroooar
- It's weird to think that most of you have had sex, because most of you are so...(trails off) I mean...who..? nah. Nevermind. Nothing. 04:42:14 AM May 19, 2013 from web
- I'd rather shake hands with your dick than stand behind you in line and smell your fucking patchouli. 04:33:37 AM May 19, 2013 from web
- they invented the phrase 'come to think of it' to describe me at 16 and any vagina in the world. 04:20:59 AM May 19, 2013 from web
- who the fuck is Kanye West? 03:36:14 AM May 19, 2013 from web
- ▼2013 (31)
- ▶2012 (121)
- ▶2011 (270)
- ▶2010 (199)
- ▶2009 (209)
- ▶2008 (79)
I am This is This is.guy. dad. husband. uncle. dog master. brother. son. uh...bad sleeper. some farts.