A Crappy Song for a Crappy Day

It’s the end of the year. Tomorrow I go to Denver. While I’m there, I’ll play a solo show at Lost Lake on December 26th with Tim from Elway and Dragondeer opening. It’s gonna be a good time. You guys should ditch your parents and come.

This year has been rough. Yesterday, Josh Stern passed away. Josh was one of the nicest, sweetest, most enthusiastic, fun dudes anyone could ever hope to meet. Last time he was in Chicago, less than 3 weeks ago, we had plans to meet up, but I got tired and went to bed. Our last ever exchange was him following up our tentative plans with a text that said “So, are you doing anything tonight?” which went unanswered due to me never telling him I was going to sleep. I look at that text today and it makes me so sad.

My friend Tony and my friend Ken also died this year. So many people were shot, including babies, and not just in America, either, by a long shot. Sadly, very, very sadly, this is something that exists in our world and has for a while. People die of fucked up diseases, people get sick brains and die trying to balance their brains themselves, or end up killing other people because their brains never get balanced. It’s fucked up and scary.

Tommy Lee, meanwhile, will never overdose.  Cancer will spare the spine, lungs and pancreas of Dick Cheney. My friends are dead and Jerry fucking Sandusky is alive.

Cool god you guys have. Let’s drop everything and have a party for him, eh?  Pffft.

Eh, whatever. This is all very depressing. I guess it’s what happens when a personal tragedy comes so close on the heels of a national tragedy. It’s just all piled up and I’m bummed. Sorry to be a downer. It’s temporary, I promise.

Please, if you live in Denver, come hang out with me at Lost Lake on Dec 26 and let’s have an awesome time. I miss you guys and I can’t wait to hang. In the meantime, here’s a song I wrote and recorded about 6 years ago. It’s not good, but it’s interesting, because it’s very much the prototype for what would become the Wandering Birds. This features me on all guitars and vocals and Nick Martin on bass, percussion and drums.

Interesting trivia: The Wandering Birds were originally called the Coke Horse (say it out loud to activate the awesome pun) but my booking agent told me that name was too stupid and I had to change it. Oh well. Here’s the primitive version of the Wandering Birds, at the time known as the Coke Horse with our 2007 hit “A Dirty Story.” Merry Christmas. I love you guys. Tell the people you love how you feel about them, cuz shit can snap them up in a flash.

RIP Josh.

Xoxoxoxox

This red link right below is the link to the song, BTW.

01 a dirty story

15 Responses to A Crappy Song for a Crappy Day

1. nancy says:

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s a crappy song. I loved it, matter of a fact. This week has really been a shitter for everyone, Ryan responded to you earlier this week that he feels defeated, I thought that was a spot-on way to put it. I’m a parent too, and I work in a high school, and you can’t help but feel vulnerable and useless right now no matter where you go. Here’s to hoping next year isn’t such a shit show, xo!

2. jake says:

Sorry about your friend, man.

3. Seth says:

Also really sorry to hear about your friend. We all have moments we wish we could take back, try not to let the missed text drive you crazy. Think about the good times you had with him and do your best to live for those that are gone.

4. candice says:

Love you, Brendan.

5. Jeremy says:

I actually really dug the song…like a lot. Small victories I suppose, but that shit made my day a little better.

6. Greg says:

My condolences Beex. Take solace in the good things in your life, like your family and adoring fans. For what it’s worth, the song is great. Your music has helped me through hard times (no lie) and I’m sure I’m not the only one. There’s a lot of good in this world too, and sometimes it comes in the form of a guy from Chicago who recorded a song that some dude in New York listened to while he was down in the dumps, and made his day a little brighter. Hang in there, man. Happy holidays.

7. Stool Rules says:

Brendan,
    Sorry for your loss. I think all these crappy days and frakes sometimes come along with the holiday season…..the gimme gimme and stress of it all. Not sure your stance on x-mas but I’m more a Scrooge about it myself. Last time I saw the Lawrence Arms live was on the Plea for Peace tour at the Exit Inn in good ole Nashville, TN probably 15 years ago. Hey I bet you’ve never played in Knoxville, TN. It would be cool if you did though. Stay up Beex

8. Viz says:

Holidays after tragedies are the fucking worst. 2012 has been a shitty year. But hey, the world didn’t end and we’ve all grown a bit.

9. Terry says:

I like this song. Stop selling yourself short. If you re-recorded this it we’d all appreciate it. And do another Wandering Birds show! More people have to hear this music. It didn’t reach enough ears and when you did the first show I didn’t even know it was happening and I follow everything Lawrence Arms-related. At least do a Gman show for us!

10. Ssssshhh says:

I can’t hear the singing. Bummer. Android suckx. Im beatin it up after this post, no lie

11. QueenBee says:

I’m super late to this party, but yeah. I love this song.
    Sorry about all the shit, Beex.

12. Jeni says:

I, too, am late to the party and bummed I missed your Denver show. I moved here from Illinois and it’s amazing but my heart is in the Chicago music scene. Please come back, I’ll buy you beer/s.